Being all sweaty inside the gym shouldn’t stop anyone from looking their best while working out. Choosing the right workout clothes, after all, may facilitate proper posture and allow mobility needed to carry out routines and exercises.
Comfort is the key in buying gym clothes. Having the right ensemble in the closet allows the gym buffs to freely move and work around while preventing any possible injuries and giving the body’s needed support.
It is then imperative to land on a set of workout clothes suitable for the chosen workout that would make the wearer feel motivated.
Here are the recommended steps in purchasing clothes for the gym:
1. Asses the kind of workouts you will be engaging in. Different exercises call for varying outfits –clothes for yoga, for instance, cannot be worn for a swimming class. The clothes should be chosen accordingly.
2. Pick clothes that are only within your comfort zone. There are a lot of venues for fashion experiments, but not inside the gym. Staying focused on the exercise and feeling comfortable is imperative in achieving the best results. It is thus suggested that you conceal what you wouldn’t rather expose. Some women may get by wearing a midriff and Capri pants, but you may opt to get full tank tops and jogging pants. Remember that the quest to appear flattering depends on the sizes and shapes of the wearers.
3. Purchase the right undergarments. Women who work out a lot should have loads of sports bra in their closet. Men, on the other hand, should have sturdy, high-quality athletic supporters. Gym buffs whose skins are sensitive to chafing may also opt to add a pair of compression shorts or tights to their list of must-haves to prevent the legs from rubbing during exercises.
4. Stay away from thick fabrics. Workout clothes should be made from lightweight and absorbent materials to allow the skin to breathe. This would reduce the possibility of overheating and skin complications that usually spring from unreleased moisture (like fungal infections). Absorbent materials effectively wick away sweat and help avoid having these problems.
It then follows that clothes made of synthetic fabrics that are notorious in trapping sweat from the skin. The national Institute of Health also emphasizes the health risks caused by the chemicals contained in these materials.
5. Ditch oversized shirts and sweats. These may be ultra comfortable as house clothes, but they are not too safe to use inside the gym. Loose clothes can get stuck on gym equipment. Plus, oversized shorts can absorb swear and hold up to 27 times its weight when it is soaked in water – meaning, it gets heavier as the wearer sweats. Ditch the old loose-fitting shirts and choose cotton blends instead.
6. Get the proper pair of shoes. Just as gym clothes vary for different kinds of workouts, the shoes should also be chosen according to the activity of the wearer. Runners in an indoor track or those who spend a lot of time on the treadmill should opt for kickers with extra cushioning and enhanced arch support. Exercises like yoga, dance and pilates, conversely, entail lighter and more snug shoes. But for whatever kind of workout, experts suggest that the shoes should be well-fitted, comfortable, properly cushioned and breathable.
Extra Tips in Buying Workout Clothes
Be mindful of the weather and season. On hot days, breathable fabrics should be chosen to easily wick sweat away. On the other hand, cold weather calls for warmer clothes, but not the kind that would hamper healthy heart rates and body temperature. Remember to wear layers that can be removed when the outfit becomes too warm. The trick is wear thinner fabrics on the innermost layer and put insulating clothes on top. The head, ears and hands should be covered to keep them away from freezing.
Buy a proper pair of socks. Loose fabrics of socks around the heel or toes are a big no-no. It is imperative to choose socks that come without seams. This is highly recommended for gym goers suffering from diabetes and blood circulation problems.
It is also a stay away from cotton socks especially when you have sweaty feet. The socks should effectively wick away seat to keep the feet extra dry and comfortable.
To find out more about jerseys and sportswear click here.